Summer is the season for long days, vacations, and – unfortunately – home burglaries (according to the U.S. Department of Justice). In order to help keep your home safe and vacation anxiety at bay, VINSON has put together a few tips for securing your home while you are away.
- The best and easiest tip – tell a neighbor your travel plans, and ask them to keep an eye on your property
- Lock all doors and windows (including doors leading to any garages, second-story windows, and balcony doors, etc.)
- Contact USPS and your local newspapers to stop delivery
- If you were unable to tell a neighbor your plans, also stop package delivery from UPS/FedEx/etc.
- Put all outdoor tools away, and anything else you identify that can break windows
- Don’t write your address on your luggage tags – only put your phone number
- Arm the alarm system, and consider letting your alarm company know that you will be away
- Don’t post travel plans on social media/blogs/etc.
- Set auto timers to turn lights and radio/TV on and off
- Hire a house or pet-sitter
- Have someone take care of your yard/shovel your sidewalks and driveway
- Unplug appliances
- Remove the spare key(s)
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway/in front of your house periodically
Photo: Art-By-Stacy via flickr.