Like James Thurber said: Two is company, four is a party, three is a crowd… You will find yourself in crowded venues like shopping malls, concerts halls, business districts, etc. this holiday season. Staying vigilant provides protection in most situations. Here are few tips to remember while you are celebrating.
- Walk in groups of two or more. There is safety in numbers
- Do not accept drinks from strangers because you won’t know what’s in it. Only consume beverages mixed by the bartender while you are present. Only accept bottles of water (or beer) that you or the bartender opened.
- Set a return time with friends and family so they know when to expect you.
- Do not text and walk. You can not focus on your environment if you are focused on your device. Step inside a business, bar, hotel, etc. to use your phone.
- Stick to busy, well-lit streets.
- Just say no when approached by panhandlers. Limit the conversation, and move on.
- Become a hard target. Thieves want to the shortest, easiest route to merchandise. Leave you large purse at home. Don’t be flashy with cash.
Photo: VisitBerlin via flickr.